Saturday, February 7, 2009

One to Remember!

Boulevard was insane! Zack, Corey, Jason, Jose, Orion Berryman and I lined up for the Pro/1/2. It was a stacked field with Floyd, OUCH, Jelly Belly, Team Type 1, Rock, Team V Australia/Successful Living, and many other good guys. About 15mins before the start it started to rain, then it turned to big snowflakes! WOW! On the start line the snow was blowing sideways. We asked about doing 3 laps instead of 4 and the officials said "Nope you're doing 4." WTF? Seriously it was like 35 degrees and, honestly, really dangerous for crashing and our health - the chances of hypothermia were there. I wasn't too cold. I had on a LS baselayer, 2 jerseies, leg warmers, arm warmers, a water proof hat, vest, rain cape, and waterresistant gloves and shoecovers. We took off and it was FREEZING. The legs did not want to work. The guy next to me turned around after a mile! In the first mile we had a crash! You were constantly getting gapped by guys. IT was freezing on the descent. I couldn't feel my hands or quads! On top of that my brakes weren't working well at all. We finally hit the climbs and the field had already thinned out. I sat in the group on the climbs, but felt horrible. It was going to be a 1 lap race for me. I cruised in and it was snowing heavily on me at the top of the climbs. Apparently half the field quit! I rode down to the car with Zack and found Jose already warming the car up and Jason trying to get warm in Corey's car. We finally warmed up and headed out to help Corey and Orion. Corey toughed it out for nice top15 (I think); on lap 1 he was talking about quitting to save it for VOS, but he must've felt better. Orion rode awesome for a guy who says he hasn't been training! About 25 guys finished total. Not a bad showing for the Swami's! What a day! I'll not foret that anytime soon.

My friend from Team Type 1 was there and didn't even start - he's doing ToC and didn't want to get sick. Don't blame him. He rode on the coast and said it was sunny all day for him. Alex and Rob rode really well in the collegiate A race and took 4th and 5th. Not too shabby at all.

Tomorrow we have the Fiesta Island TT and the Red Trolley Crit - we'll see how they go after today.

Chris

No comments: